Thursday, September 13, 2012

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS IN A CEREAL WORLD

  Making breakfast together is one of the things that brings the girls and I together.  For the second morning in a row, the girls have gotten up reasonably early enough to help me make breakfast; turkey sausage casserole yesterday morning, and blueberry muffins today.  I've found this is one thing that the girls will really make an effort to get out of bed for.  (Yeah, I know, I thought "Come on girls, let's do spelling" would work too, but it hasn't so far).  
  I believe at the heart of this activity is the fact that we are spending time together, doing something for one another as we share what we have planned for the day, and maybe something funny that we dreamed the night before.  There is a feeling of accomplishment and being needed as one breaks eggs into a mixing bowl or gets silverware out to set the table.  This seems to set the mood for the whole day, that the day is going to bring more togetherness, rather than a feeling of being rushed or left alone that just grabbing a bowl of cereal while mom posts on facebook or grades papers would bring.
  Yep, we need to make this a morning tradition.  And I feel so blessed that homeschooling allows us to do this.  What about those mornings when we might be a little more rushed?  Then they can pour themselves a bowl of cereal, and I will sit down next to them with my cup of coffee while none of us wonders when the bus is going to come. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment